If you’re having trouble sleeping, frequent anxiety attacks, and worsened insomnia, you may have heard of 5-HTP as a recommendation from people who are experiencing the same issues. You can even hear celebrities like Jim Carrey talking about how 5-HTP helps them in various ways.
There is also a celebrity doctor who shared the benefits of 5-HTP when it comes to balancing moods and improved sleep. He also mentioned that pure 5-HTP can be used as a natural and effective appetite suppressant.
What Is 5-HTP and How Does It Work?
5-HTP or 5-Hydroxytryptophan is a chemical byproduct from a building block protein called L-tryptophan.
L-tryptophan is a type of amino acid that your body needs to make proteins and to produce chemicals that are important for brain-signaling. Your body then converts the L-tryptophan into a brain chemical called serotonin.
Serotonin, on the other hand, is a type of neurotransmitter that is responsible for carrying signals in your brain’s nerve cells. It helps balance and regulate different functions in your body, such as behavior, attention, and focus. It also helps control your sleep, mood, and appetite.
5-HTP works in different areas of your central nervous system and brain by boosting the production of serotonin. Since 5-HTP helps increases the serotonin levels, it is used for certain conditions on which it plays an important role such as anxiety, depression, insomnia, and more. When taken, 5-HTP helps improve the symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- Depression - there are several clinical trials that found how 5-HTP works as an effective antidepressant
- Migraine - some research also shows that 5-HTP may help prevent migraines or reduce the severity of it
- Fibromyalgia - a serious condition related to widespread pain in tendons, ligaments, muscles, and tender points, accompanied by fatigue. 5-HTP was said to improve the symptoms of fibromyalgia
- Insomnia - serotonin converts into melatonin (a hormone in your body that plays an important role in the sleep-wake cycle). Since 5-HTP increases serotonin levels, it may also raise melatonin levels to help normalize sleeping patterns
How to boost your 5-HTP
Eating foods that are high in L-tryptophan is one of the natural ways to boost your 5-HTP. Here are examples of food you can incorporate into your diet:
- Collard greens
- Turnip greens
- Sunflower seeds
- Sesame seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
You may need to consume at least 3-4 of these foods a day to increase your 5-HTP levels more effectively.
Most people who are having difficulty in eating sufficient amounts of L-tryptophan foods prefer to take 5-HTP supplements. These supplements are found in drugstores, health food stores, and ecommerce platforms.
Every year, more and more people are battling depression, anxiety, and insomnia. That’s why 5-HTP supplements are becoming more in demand.
Look no further because we’re going to give you one of the best 5-HTP supplements in the market!
Purely Optimal’s 5-HTP+ Complex - your ultimate key to sound mind + balanced life
Our 5-HTP+ Complex is packed with these high-quality ingredients which fuel your body so you can enjoy better days ahead:
More health benefits of our 5-HTP+ Complex:
- Helps boost your cognitive functionsImproves your serotonin levels that can also aid in maintaining a healthy weight
- Aids in reducing the pain associated with fibromyalgia
- Helps curb your cravings
- Provides good melatonin levels to regulate and improve your quality of sleep
- Allows you to create your own calm naturally so you can have better days with zero or less stress