People who love eating unsaturated fish are known to have good heart health. That’s because fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which play an essential role in keeping your heart, skin, and eyes healthy.
If you want to keep a healthy heartbeat, eating omega-3-rich foods at least twice or thrice a week can do significant benefits to your cardiovascular health and reduce your risk of developing heart-related issues.
Omega-3 fatty acids
Omega-3 fatty acids are polyunsaturated fats, which are needed by your body to maintain other important functions and to build brain cells. It also protects you from stroke, inflammation, and eye deterioration at an early age.
A person who already has heart disease may be recommended by their doctor to take an omega-3 fish oil supplement alongside medication and a healthy diet to improve their health. If you want to supply your body with enough omega-3, your diet should make up 5% to 10% of your total calories and eat at least 2 to 3 servings of omega 3-rich foods per week.
Omega-3 heart benefits
- Helps lower blood pressure
- Helps decrease triglycerides
- Regulates balanced sugar level
- Reduces irregular heartbeat
- Lowers the risk of developing heart failure and strokes
- Slows down plaque buildup that contains high cholesterol and fats, which can block your arteries
Mercury in fish
Some people are worried about mercury and other contaminants present in certain fishes. Because if you eat a lot of fish containing mercury, toxins (like polychlorinated biphenyls and dioxins) can build up in your system. Whereas the amount of toxins present will depend on where the fish is farmed or caught.
However, this should not be a huge problem. Because the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids surely outweigh this minor disadvantage, particularly for adults. But for toddlers and babies in the womb, it can affect their brain development and nervous system.
The best thing you can do to enjoy eating fish without worrying about mercury contamination is to eat omega-3 rich foods like veggies, fruits, and nuts.
Omega-3 rich fishes
Omega-3 rich fishes are those that contain less to zero mercury, such as:
- Albacore tuna, or canned, light tuna
- Lake trout
- Atlantic mackerel
Other omega-3 rich foods
If you’re not a fan of eating fish, or you just want an alternative, you can opt for these following omega-3 rich foods:
- Veggies: seaweed, nori, Brussel sprouts, cauliflower, spinach, broccoli, basil
- Fruits: berries, mango, avocado, muskmelons,
- Seeds: chia seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds,
- Beans: edamame beans, kidney beans, soybeans
- Nuts: walnuts, almonds, cashew, hazelnuts
- Oils: soybean oil, algal oil, perilla oil, canola oil
- Other foods: eggs, wheatgerm
If you think that you’re not getting enough omega-3 fatty acids from your diet, or you just want to boost your omega-3 intake, supplements make a great option. Aside from the fatty fish oil present in these supplements, most contain whole foods and other essential nutrients that will do significant benefits to your heart, brain, eyes, and even skin, hair, and nails health.
A person that has high triglyceride levels or heart disease may benefit from taking omega-3 supplements, most especially if they are not getting enough of it from their diet. If you’re under medication, it is best recommended to ask your doctor first before taking this supplement.
Purely Optimal’s Omega-3 Fish Oil – your powerful heart health booster
Aside from giving your heart health an incredible boost, our Omega-3 Fish Oil supplement can also provide you with the following overall health benefits:
- Molecularly distilled to remove heavy metals such as mercury, PCB, and other contaminants
- Provides optimal benefits for brain function, immune system, eyes, skin, and joints
- Helps protect your eyes from dryness and delay age-related deterioration in eyesight
- Contains DHA to support your brain and neurological function, as well as to improve memory retention and concentration
- Keeps your blood vessels healthy
- Aids in brain development of fetus in the womb
Here are 5-star reviews from our customers who have purchased our Omega-3 Fish Oil supplement
“My husband and I both take this and our joints feel so much better! Our skin and eyes are also staying healthy so it’s a win/win for us! It is also burpless /no aftertaste!”
From Jean F. Boggs
“No fish oil burp. This is a huge plus for me. I feel it is the highest quality fish oil I’ve had. I notice an improvement in my arthritis, especially in my hands. I’ve had thumb arthritis for many years, and this helps more than anything else. This is a great value.”
“I like the fact that it has much more DHA EPA in each capsule than most products for a very reasonable price.”