What Is the Difference Between Women's Multivitamins and Men's Multivitamins?
Men, by nature, are not picky in everything they do. Even in the foods they eat and the stuff they need to buy, they don’t spend hours thinking of what’s the best among the rest, as long as it will benefit them in plentiful ways. And this goes with supplements, too.
When it comes to vitamins and supplements, a lot of things might cross your mind, like:
“I run out of men’s multivitamins and all we have right now is multivitamins for women. Can I take it?”
“I think it’s okay to take women’s multivitamins because the contents are almost the same.”
“Women’s multivitamins and men’s multivitamins are still multivitamins. I don’t think taking some for only a couple of days will harm me.”
Well, generally, most men and women’s multivitamins are not really that different from each other. Although men and women both need 13 essential vitamins and minerals to support the body’s overall health, most brands contain the same blend of ingredients.
But the major differences would be the amount of the specific minerals that a man or a woman needs.. Because a man’s body type, nutritional needs, and hormone levels surely differ from a woman’s.
In this blog, we’ll explain to you the difference between men’s multivitamins and women’s multivitamins. Plus, we’ll also show to you the best recommended multi for men that will support your nutritional needs and optimal health.
Men’s Multivitamins & Women’s Multivitamins: The Key Differences
Iron and Vitamin C RDA (Recommended Dietary Allowance)
One of the significant differences between a men’s multivitamin and a women’s multivitamin is the iron content.
Medical experts and doctors recommend that on a daily basis, women should take twice as much iron as men. Especially if they are on their period or premenopausal stage, since they are losing more iron due to blood secretion. Men don’t need this much iron intake.
Besides that is the vitamin C’s RDA. Men need a slightly higher vitamin C and zinc than women because they burn more energy and calories. Although this difference doesn’t matter that much (because women need to pay attention to their vitamin and mineral needs too), this is something both parties should also keep in mind.
Mineral and Other Deficiencies
Women mostly are low in iron, calcium, zinc, and B12, specifically if they are on a plant-based or meat-free diet.
While men on the other hand, need more selenium and zinc to support their immune system, sperm health, prostate, and sexual functions. This is the reason why men’s multivitamins have higher doses of selenium and zinc compared to women’s multivitamins.
If you ever have mineral or other deficiencies, it’s best to talk to your physician so they can recommend you a particular supplement, alongside the proper recommended dosage.
Age is also a factor when choosing the right multivitamin. Not all multivitamins that are made for men and women are generally formulated to suit a wide range of age groups. Some multivitamins have limited or different dosage recommendation depending on the age.
Multivitamins for children and older people usually have higher micronutrients content, like calcium. Adults below the age of 50 may not need that much.
Multivitamins for men are specifically formulated with the ingredients and nutrients that a man will need.
Common featured ingredients in men’s multivitamins:
- Amino Acids: Some multivitamins for men contain higher levels of amino acids because men have higher muscle mass than women. Amino acids help support muscle mass and joint maintenance, as well as assist in recovery.
- B Vitamins: B Vitamins help increase the testosterone levels, especially for aging men. B3, B6, and B12 helps convert the food into energy, which also assists the body in producing red blood cells. B Vitamins supports energy, heart health, muscles recovery, and more.
- Vitamin D: It’s quite common for men, especially to those who are older or obese, to experience vitamin D deficiency. That’s why men’s multivitamins usually have higher vitamin D content than women’s multivitamins. Vitamin D3 is one common ingredient too, for it is needed to support bone health and maintain a healthier immunity.
- Zinc: Multivitamins for men usually contain higher zinc than women’s. This is because zinc is essential for testosterone production and for maintaining a healthier prostate. In general, women just need 8 milligrams of zinc a day, while men need 11.
Common featured ingredients in women’s multivitamins:
Just like men’s multivitamins, women’s multivitamins are particularly formulated women-specific nutrients.
- Calcium: Generally, multivitamins don’t have calcium requirements or restrictions because one pill would require too much serving before a person meets their daily calcium needs. But women’s multivitamins mostly have higher calcium quantities than men’s, because as soon as women reach the age of 51, they will need 200 milligrams (or more) of calcium per day. This means that as women age, their calcium needs would be higher.
- Cranberry: There are certain women’s multivitamin that contains cranberry extract in it to help support the urinary tract system for the prevention of urinary tract infection (UTI), which happens to be more prevalent in women than men.
- Folate: Multivitamins for women mostly contain higher levels of folate or folic acid, which is an essential nutrient for a healthy pregnancy. The recommended RDA of folate for men and women is just the same (400 micrograms). However, pregnant women will need to increase their folate intake to support their baby’s development during early pregnancy. Folic acid is very important to prevent major birth defects, and to hold the placenta and fetus. Since folate is just a water-soluble B vitamin, the body naturally flushes out the excess.
- Iron: Women are more likely to encounter iron deficiency than men, especially if they are pregnant or menstruating since they secrete more blood. This is the reason why all women’s multivitamin contains iron, and even have higher dosage than men’s. Iron is crucial for maintaining a healthy fertility, cognitive health, and prenatal & postpartum health.
- Iodine: Iodine is the most supreme nutrient that prevents or helps with thyroid issues, which is more common in women than men. Ovaries need to produce healthy estrogen and progesterone levels, and iodine can help with that. It can also contribute to a healthier pregnancy for both the mother and the baby, and plays a major role in breastfeeding. Iodine adds nutritional values in breast milk so that babies can have stronger bones, healthier brain, and proper bones & muscle development.
What are the possible effects of taking the wrong multivitamins?
Since multivitamins for men and women are formulated differently, most people often ask, will you get sickly if you take the wrong kind?
Well, not technically. Since most of the vitamins and minerals that are present in men’s and women’s multivitamins are very similar, taking a multivitamin that is designed for the opposite gender won’t literally harm you or make you sick.
However, long-term use may cause a different negative effect, such as mineral build-up. Especially for men who are getting high doses of iron. In certain cases, men with iron deficiency may be prescribed by their physician to add other supplement or medication that will help with their condition.
Choosing a multivitamin for you shouldn’t be that complicated. But with so many options available in stores nowadays, finding the right one can be pretty overwhelming and time-consuming. But don’t worry, we got you!
Purely Optimal’s Men’s Multivitamin - an extraordinary companion and a winning ally to men's health
Why choose our Men’s Multivitamin?
- It contains 23 vitamins and minerals to support your heart, brain, muscles, and overall system
- It is loaded with organic fruit and vegetable blend for better nutrition
- It is formulated with a specific men’s health blend for prostate health
- It is packed with antioxidant blends for immunity and vitality
- It consists of probiotics & enzyme blend for stronger gut & improved nutrient absorption
What our Men’s Multivitamins can do for you:
- With our men’s health blend, anti-oxidant blend, probiotic and enzyme blend, you’ll have everything you need and beyond
- It serves as your all-in-one daily supplement for the easiest and best choice to boost your health
- Gives you the advantage of achieving vitality, longevity, and overall wellness
- Lets you be on top of your game with unstoppable spirit by increasing your stamina and performance
- Supports your daily nutritional needs so you can take care of yourself and the people who matter most to you
- Fortifies your immunity and contributes to better digestion
- Helps free up your mental health so you can focus on the things you truly care about
- Has countless benefits from multiple vitamins and minerals to help your body perform better
- Makes you feel and look younger by getting the right nutrients and antioxidants
We've got you covered from head to toe! Get our Men’s Multivitamin now to supercharge your health!