Enzymes are a type of protein that is found within a cell, which is responsible for producing chemical reactions in the body. Enzymes also help speed up the rate of that chemical reaction, thus helping support life and bodily functions.
The major role of enzymes is breaking down the food particles during digestion and destroying toxins that enter the system. Being exposed to harsh chemicals, disease, and heat can change the shape and damage the enzymes, since they are tied to its function.
If this happens, enzymes will not work properly as they should, therefore affecting digestion, gut health, and other body processes.
How do digestive enzymes work?
Enzymes play a crucial role in the proper function of the digestive system. People who often experience tummy problems such as indigestion, constipation, diarrhea, or IBS take digestive enzymes supplement to help prevent or lessen the symptoms of these digestion problems.
Although there are various types of digestive enzymes, the three major types are produced in the pancreas — the organ that does the heavy work during digestion period:
- Protease: breaks down proteins and turns them into amino acids
- Amylase: breaks down carbs and starches into sugars
- Lipase: breaks down lipids, which mostly comprises oils and fats, and converts them into fatty acids and glycerol
What happens if the body don’t produce enough enzymes?
Digestive enzymes insufficiency occurs when the body does not have enough digestive enzymes or has difficulty releasing enough enzymes as they normally should.
Due to this insufficiency, the body won’t be able to break down certain nutrients from the foods you eat.
Here are also a few examples of enzyme insufficiency:
- Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI): occurs when the pancreas doesn’t generate sufficient enzymes that are needed to digest fats, proteins, and carbohydrates.
- Congenital sucrase-isomaltase deficiency: occurs when the body doesn’t have enough sucrase to digest sugars.
- Lactose intolerance: the most common enzyme insufficiency. This happens when your body cannot produce enough lactase, which means you may have problems digesting sugars that are found in dairy products and milk.
How to know if you have digestive enzymes insufficiency
A person who has digestive enzymes insufficiency may experience any of the following symptoms:
- Loose or oily bowel movements
- Stomach ache or belly pain
- Change in appetite
- Unexpected weight loss
Digestive enzyme insufficiency, if left untreated, can lead to malnutrition, gastrointestinal irritation, and other more serious health conditions. If you notice two or more of these symptoms, talk to your doctor immediately.
Foods that are naturally rich in digestive enzymes
Eating foods that are naturally high in digestive enzymes can help your body maintain enough enzymes and improve digestion.
Here are some of the foods you can incorporate into your daily diet:
What are digestive enzymes supplements for?
People that often experience tummy troubles and those who have enzyme insufficiency can take such supplement, aside from eating the foods mentioned above.
Purely Optimal’s Digestive Enzymes — everything your gut needs in one supplement
What our Digestive Enzyme supplement contains:
- Digestive enzymes
- Prebiotics & probiotics
- Wholefoods enzymes
- Amylase, lipase, and protease
- 2 billion CFU of powerful Multi-Strain Probiotics
- Potent Organic Prebiotic Complex
What our Digestive Enzymes can do for you:
- Keeps the gut healthy for stronger immunity
- Helps break down the food you eat so your body can absorb the vitamins and nutrients needed for energy and strength
- Maintains the right balance in the gut flora
- Keeps the bad bacteria in check so the good guys can keep you healthy
- Aids in better digestion
- Helps beat digestion problems and ease discomfort in the system
Here are 5-star reviews from our customers who have purchased our Digestive Enzymes
This supplement helps me with bloating and assists to process food that can be hard on my stomach. I started taking this because I was having lots of issues with digesting food. My metabolism is messed up due to Hypothyroidism. This supplement has helped assist with breaking down food. I am ordering again.
From C S
So far so good. Like the variety of ingredients for inclusive aid to digestion, including the whole food enzyme complex. Awaiting more amazing results.
From Chris Brown
I love this. Helps with bloating and helps me process food that can be hard on my stomach. I like to take it every time before dinner. I notice that it helps with digestion and I don’t get stomach pain like I used to.