Sniffles, runny nose, headache, joint pains, fever – when any of these symptoms shows up, you know you either have the common cold or the flu. Whichever of the two, it can really affect how your day would turn out.
A person who sneezed near you can spread the virus that causes colds or flu. A change in weather is also one thing that triggers the symptoms. That’s why there’s what we call the flu season, which starts in November and could last until March.
Symptoms are more bothersome especially in winter because of the cold temperature and low humidity. Even though cold and flu mostly go together, there are differences between the two that people often get confused about.
Cold vs Flu - What’s the difference
Knowing the difference between the two is important so that you’ll know which steps are necessary to take and if you need immediate medication or just a simple home remedy. Let’s break it down into symptoms comparison:
- Fever: when you have a cold, you rarely have a fever. But the flu can give you a fever that lasts for 3-5 days.
- Headache: you’ll rarely have a headache when you have a mild cold. But a flu most often brings headaches, especially when you’re having a fever.
- Cough & sore throat: cough and sore throat are very common symptoms for both cold and flu.
- Runny nose: if you have a cold, you’ll have a runny nose that will eventually go away after a few days. But a flu will give you a runny nose that may last even up to a week/s.
- Body aches: mild body aches can be symptoms of a cold. But a flu can be anything from moderate to severe body aches.
- Nausea, vomiting, constipation/diarrhea: these symptoms rarely happen to a person having a cold. But a person, especially children, with flu can experience these.
- Fatigue: since you’re uncomfortable with your cold, you can experience mild to moderate fatigue. But a flu can cause severe fatigue.
- Chills & shivering: chills and shivering may happen too but just mild if you have cold, and moderate to severe when you have flu.
But as much as you try to zero in on the best remedies that work for you, the better move could probably be focusing on prevention.
Many researchers stated that elderberry can prevent or lessen the severity of cold and flu symptoms of cold and flu, since it has antioxidant properties to clear complexion and anti-inflammatory properties thato fight infections. It can also be used as a natural remedy to treat other mild conditions (which will be mentioned later).
That is why manufacturers make Elderberry supplements come in different forms such as, spray, syrup, tea, lozenges, gummies, and immunity shots.
What is Elderberry?
Elderberry is a fruit that comes from the Sambucus tree. The flowers from this tree are edible. But the elderberries must be cooked before they can be consumed because raw elderberries and some parts of the tree are toxic. And when eaten uncooked, Elderberries can cause nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, and fever.
Aside from the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of Elderberry, it is also rich in Vitamin C and fiber. Elderberry contains flavonoids, phenolic acids, and anthocyanins, which are the potent sources of antioxidants. These contents present in the Elderberry make people believe that it can relieve cold and flu.
Are there foods that contain Elderberry?
Some food and wine contain flavorings of it, while some add it on pies or make jams from the fruit.
Is Elderberry Really an Effective Cold and Flu Cure?
Here are few research studies about Elderberry and how it helps with cold and flu symptoms:
- There is a laboratory research in 2011 that investigated the antimicrobial properties of liquid elderberry
- A 2017 study revealed the Sambucus nigra’s branches contain potent sources of antioxidants
- While a test-tube in 2021 also showed the various properties of Elderberry which can help combat flu
- There is also a 2018 research review reporting that Elderberry supplements can effectively relieve common respiratory infection such as cough, runny nose, and nasal congestion
Since many people who have tried the effectiveness of Elderberry to relieve cold, flu, and other mild respiratory illnesses, some also used it as a remedy for:
- High cholesterol levels
- Sore throat
- Persistent chronic fatigue
- Inflammation; and
- To reduce the risk of diabetes and heart disease
- If you experience moderate to severe symptoms, it’s best to consult your doctor for a medical prescription that can help stop the symptoms, aside from taking an Elderberry supplement.
- Ask your doctor if you can still consume Elderberry while on medication. Although Elderberry products are safe and natural, it’s still best to ask your doctor to avoid complications.
Elderberry Supplement for Cold and Flu Cure
Since Elderberry cannot be consumed raw, it may be difficult to incorporate it into your everyday routine. Especially if you prefer to rely on it as your daily immunity boost.
This is where Elderberry supplements come in. Most Elderberry supplements are packed with vitamins and antioxidants that help boost the immune system. They can also help ease inflammation and improve your cardiovascular health.
Elderberry supplements are classified as a dietary supplement. So they are safe to be taken daily. But if you’re under medication, consult your doctor first.
Looking for an exceptional Elderberry supplement for your immune & respiratory support? Look no further because we got you!
Purely Optimal’s Elderberry Capsules - a natural way to fortify your immunity against unwanted health concerns
Why should you take our Elderberry Capsules?
- It contains anthocyanins - a powerful antioxidant that protects you down to the DNA level that also offers anti-inflammatory benefits
- Rich in antioxidants which helps protects your cells from free radical damage
- Promotes collagen production and protects your skin
- Support your body’s natural defenses against common respiratory issues
- Helps relieve sinus problems and reduces inflammation
- Protects your heart health
- Formulated with natural herbal extracts to give your respiratory system the freedom to function at its best
- With extra strength formula to boost immune system and fight off sensational allergies
What our Elderberry Capsules contain:
- Elderberry Fruit
- Vitamin C
- 4 potent herbal ingredients
- Elderberry fruit
- Oregano leaf
- Olive leaf
- Garlic bulb