An apple a day keeps the doctor away. But did you also know that green juice works the same way?
Health enthusiasts know green juices as the ‘detox’ juice. Detox diets have become more and more popular, especially for those who are trying to lose weight.
However, some people don’t really get the benefit out of it, while some don’t even feel any significance at all.
This is because when doing detox, you have to know the do’s and don’t of it, and when your body actually needs it.
How does detox work?
Detox works through eliminating toxins in your body naturally by allowing your digestive system to take a break. And why does your digestive system need a break? So it can heal from digesting all the foods you’ve consumed for a certain period.
When your digestive system finally heals properly, your body will do a better job in absorbing all the nutrients.
How will you know if your body needs detoxing?
- If you’re suddenly having food allergies that you don’t have before
- If you’re having frequent fatigue for unknown reasons
- Poor immunity
- Blemishes, irritated, and dry skin
- Frequent mood swings
What are the do’s and don'ts of a detox diet?
The proper way to detox
Detox is just like your regular diet - it has do’s and don’ts too. And to better get the best results out of it, here are some things that you should remember:
- Always add more nutrients to your detox diet through a mixture of fruits, vegetables, nuts, and gluten-free whole grains.
- Don’t skip protein. Most people, especially those who are trying to lose weight, avoid meat because they think eating meat would make them gain more weight. But actually, it is necessary for detoxification since it contains amino acids.
- Stay hydrated because your kidney will need it to eliminate toxins.
- Help your gut in the detox process. Probiotics play a huge role in making sure the good bacteria in your gut stay well-fed. You can try foods that are high in probiotics, such as kimchi, sauerkraut, and yogurt. Or try taking gut supplements as part of your daily self-care routine.
- Eat fresh and organic foods because they are healthier. Try your best to buy fresh fruits and vegetables in the market every day.
- Exercise regularly for faster detoxification and healthier body.
- Deal with your skin issues. When you’re on a detox diet, you may experience breakouts during the process because your body will undergo changes. But don’t worry, the breakouts you’re having are not caused by unhealthy habits and will go away, eventually. Yet, taking care of your skin is much better. Liquid Chlorophyll works best to help clear up skin issues, while assisting your body in detoxification.
- Drinking alcohol when you’re on a detox diet. Your body won’t fully eliminate toxins if you keep adding more to it. Alcohol contains ingredients and chemicals that will hinder your digestive system and internal organs during the process of detoxification.
- Eating processed foods, too much sodium, and unhealthy fats. These kinds of foods are unhealthy and harmful for your liver and kidneys.
- Too much caffeine intake. Too much caffeine may hinder your liver from the natural detoxification process.
- Skipping meals. A detox diet doesn’t mean you’ll eat less or skip rice. The proper detox diet should be balanced. Therefore, you should eat three to four times a day, with healthy and light meals in between. Your digestive system won’t function well and you’ll have tummy troubles if you’re always hungry.
- Adding sugar to your green juice. Green juice or detox juice is not meant to be as delicious as smoothies or Starbucks frappes. You should accept the fact that its taste is veggie-like. You can add lemon, honey, or stevia into it as a natural sweetener.
- Not getting enough sleep. Detoxing may sometimes make you feel tired and sleepy. Once you feel your body demands for a rest, no matter how busy you are, give yourself a few hours of sleep.
Detox is not something you do to your body, it is something your body will do for you.
Love your body’s natural detox process by following the tips mentioned above. You’ll be surprised by how your physical and emotional health changes for the better, as you experience improved concentration levels, enhanced mood, and more energy.