They say that personality is not really the first thing you’ll notice on a person, it’s actually their hair. And hair, most of the time, reflects one’s characteristics or lifestyle.
If your hair is in a messy bun, people believe you’re in a hurry.
If your hair is beautifully curled, people assume you have plenty of time to get your hair done.
New hair color? They may think you value hairstyling that much.
Have no interest in dyeing your hair? They’ll see you as someone who prefers a natural and simpler look.
No one will ever know the reason behind the style or color of your hair. What matters is how you look and feel confident about it.
But do you know one of the biggest factors that can make you feel less confident? Hair loss. And you’ll be surprised by how common it is, most especially to women who just gave birth and for aging individuals.
If you’re suffering from hair fall, then you’ve fallen into the right blog. Don’t lose hope yet, for we’ll give you 10 of the best home remedies to stop the terrifying hair fall.
Causes of Hair Loss
Before we go to the home remedies, let us first identify the potential causes of your hair fall:1. Hormonal Imbalance –- men and women have different hormones. And as for women aged 30 and above, excessive dihydrotestosterone conversion can cause a hormonal imbalance that can lead to hair loss.
2. Nutritional Deficiencies – certain vitamins and minerals are essential in hair growth and for maintaining healthy hair. These are copper, zinc, iron, and vitamin D. If you lack these nutrients, you may experience hair loss.
3. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) – women suffering from PCOS have higher levels of androgens that also cause hormonal imbalance. Aside from unnecessary weight gain, acne, and ovulation problems, hair fall is also one PCOS symptom.
4. Thyroid Issues – if a person’s thyroid gland produces insufficient or excessive amount of thyroid hormone, hair growth cycle may change, which can lead to hair thinning or hair loss. Alongside the other symptoms, like imbalance weight, changes in heart rate, or sensitivity to heat or cold.
5. Stress and anxiety – chronic stress can lead to hair loss too. And if ignored, this can cause extreme anxiety, which can also lead to Alopecia - an autoimmune disorder that attacks white cells which can cause large amounts of hair to fall out.
6. Pregnancy – some women experience hair loss during pregnancy or after giving birth. This is because of the change in estrogen levels that can cause temporary hair loss. Don’t worry, if you’re in this stage, your hair will grow sooner after a couple of weeks.
7. Medications – certain medications like pills, antidepressants, accutane, blood thinners, and cholesterol-lowering drugs can cause your hair to fall off. If this is the case, talk to your doctor because they might reduce the dosage or prescribed other brands.
8. Ringworm – terrifying, but true. Ringworms occur because of a fungal infection that can cause hair loss and bald areas on the head. If this is your case, talk to your doctor about an antifungal medicine prescription.
Natural Home Remedies to Stop Hair Loss (with long-lasting effects)
When you exercise, you sweat, and when you sweat, you unclog the pores in your scalp, which stimulates hair growth because you’re giving more space for new hairs to grow.
Doing yoga can ease stress and depression to prevent further hair loss.
2. Essential oils
Certain essential oils contain benefits that can promote hair growth and hair thickness, as well as aids in hair loss.
Here are some of the essential oils that you can apply to your hair and scalp:
- Lavender - to help speed up hair growth. It also consists of antimicrobial properties that can improve your scalp and hair health.
- Rosemary - for hair thickness and improvement of cellular generation
- Peppermint - helps boost follicle depth and hair growth. It also helps with hair growth during the growing phase when you’re experiencing hair loss.
Note for application:
- Add 3-4 drops of your chosen essential oil in a bowl and mix with olive oil or melted coconut oil.
- When applying essential oil, gently massage on your scalp and leave on for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Wash your hair thoroughly with a gentle shampoo and conditioner. Organic products work best too.
3. Always use gentle shampoo or conditioner
As previously mentioned, gentle, mild, or organic shampoo and conditioner are best for hair loss. They contain little to no chemicals that are best if you want to prevent hair fall, or if you’re experiencing hair loss.
Remember, don’t ‘over-shampoo’ to prevent dry scalp that can also lead to hair fall. Only shampoo your hair 2-3 times a week. A good conditioner will also work wonders to make your locks shinier and more beautiful.
Look for shampoos and conditioners that contain amino acids to help repair damaged hair. And avoid ones that contain silicone, sulfate, and paraben, as these can cause brittle hair.
4. Have a balanced diet
Poor diet and lack of nutrition can lead to hair loss. Always feed your hair with sufficient protein and iron-rich foods to maintain healthy hair.
Here are foods you can add to your meal that are food for your hair, too:
- Carrots: rich in vitamin A that can improve hair growth, add thickness to your hair, shields your hair from external damages and environmental stress, and make your locks stronger and healthier. Be a bunny, munch some carrots now!
- Spinach: contains sebum that serves as a natural conditioner to the hair, and is also an excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acid, calcium, and potassium. All the minerals you need to prevent hair loss and contribute to stronger and healthier hair.
- Oats: are rich in fiber, Omega-6 fatty acids, iron, zinc, and polyunsaturated fatty acids for hair growth stimulation
- Eggs: contains biotin and keratin to help rebuild damaged hair and helps hair grow stronger.
- Chicken: another source of lean meat and high-quality protein that nourishes fragile hair and prevents hair loss & breakage.
- Walnuts: rich in vitamins B1, B6, B9, vitamin E, magnesium, and protein –all the essential vitamins and minerals to nourish your scalp and strengthen your hair cuticles.
- Berries and Guavas: berries are high in silica - a trace mineral that is necessary for hair growth and maintenance. While guava is four to five times rich in vitamin C that prevents hair loss and breakage.
- Sweet potatoes: contains beta-carotene that protects hair against dullness, dryness, and brittleness. They also encourage the glands in your scalp to produce sebum, which is helpful for hair growth.
- Yogurt: loaded with vitamin B5 and vitamin D to help improve hair follicle growth.
5. Avoid chemical treatments and heat styling tools
If you’re experiencing hair loss, stop using chemical treatments. Instead, reach for organic hair care products.
Discontinue the use of blowers, straightening iron, or curling rods to prevent more damage and brittleness in your hair. Instead, after bath, naturally air dry your hair.
If you want to style your hair, you can use ponytails, clips, or hair curlers/rollers.
Chemical treatments and heat styling tools can stress your strands, which can cause more hair to fall.
If you have an event or important occasion and you need your hair to be styled, a leave-in conditioner or mild protective spray helps guard your hair from chemical damage.
6. Egg mask
Since eggs are rich in iodine, selenium, zinc, protein, and phosphorus, applying them directly to your hair can help boost hair growth.
To prepare the egg mask:
- Using two bowls, separate the egg white from the yolk. Set aside.
- Mix the egg white with a teaspoon of honey and olive oil.
- Beat until you create a paste consistency, then apply starting from your roots, all the way down to your tips.
- Leave on for about 20-30 minutes, then rinse with mild shampoo or conditioner, and warm water.
- As for the egg yolk, you can scramble it. Yum!
7. Apply Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is the holy grail of skin and hair care. It works as a natural and effective home remedy for hair loss because it helps boost your natural hair growth and makes your hair healthier and shinier.
Aloe vera also aids in diminishing scalp problems like itching and flaking.
To use aloe vera:
- Carefully take a stalk of aloe vera, then pull out the pulp.
- Apply and massage the aloe vera extract on your hair and leave on for about 30 to 40 minutes. It’s okay to leave it on this long since aloe vera is 100% natural.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with normal temperature water.
- You can do this 3-4 times a week if you’re experiencing hair loss. And 2-3 times a week for better results if you’re not having hair fall.
8. Coconut milk
Coconut milk is rich in essential fats and protein that helps prevent hair loss and encourages hair growth.
To prep the coconut milk:
- If you already have coconut milk, crush some black pepper and fenugreek seeds, then add them to the milk.
- If you don’t have coconut milk, you can use a medium size coconut, then simmer it in the pan for 5-8 minutes. Then, strain and cool.
- Apply the milk mixture to your hair.
- Leave on for about 20-30 minutes, then rinse with mild shampoo or conditioner, and warm water.
9. Beetroot juice
Beetroots are high in vitamin B6, vitamin C, manganese, betaine, potassium, and folate. All of which plays a vital role in developing healthy hair follicles and stimulating hair growth.
Beetroots can also be used for hair detoxification, which can keep your hair clean and healthy.
To prepare the beetroot juice:
- Boil 6-8 of beetroot leaves.
- On your blender or food processor, pour the boiled beetroot leaves together with 5-6 henna leaves, then grind to paste.
- Apply the paste mixture on your scalp and all the way down to the tips and gently massage.
- Leave on for about 20-30 minutes before rinsing with mild shampoo or conditioner and warm water.
10. Hair supplements
There are plenty of hair supplements that are packed with vitamins and minerals, which can contribute to your overall hair health.
Here are some of our best hair supplements that not only prevent hair loss and breakage but also give plenty of health benefits to your health:
- Hair Vitamin Gummies - contains the right blend of ingredients to accelerate hair growth and make every strand of your hair healthy and strong from root to tip. It also nourishes your scalp and helps stimulate follicles so you can say goodbye to hair thinning and hair fall. Lastly, our Hair Gummies contain biotin to support your nails to grow stronger to prevent brittle nails that chip easily. And it has vitamins C, D, E to nourish your skin.
- Complete Hair Growth - targets hair loss, thinning, breakage and damage caused by daily styling. It is also packed with essential nutrients & extracts that nourish your scalp and follicles to make your strands grow naturally strong and beautiful. Furthermore, our Complete Hair Growth supplement has keratin that repairs and protects your hair, which gives long-lasting and light-reflecting shine.
- Omega-3 Fish Oil - contains essential nutrients, proteins, and healthy oils, which are beneficial for hair growth. It also prevents hair follicle inflammation - one factor that leads to hair loss. Our Omega-3 Fish Oil helps improve scalp circulation that may encourage hair growth. Plus, it won’t give you fishy burps!
- Multi Collagen Peptides Powder - your all-in-one easy to take hair, skin, and nail vitamin. This collagen supplement is packed with biotin, vitamin B12, and hyaluronic acid that all work together to rejuvenate your hair, skin, and nails naturally. Taking this powder supplement daily will give you rapid hair and nail growth. And, you can say no more to frizzy, brittle hair, or nails that chip easily. What’s more, you can add our Multi Collagen Peptides Powder to your morning coffee, smoothie, hot cocoa, or your fave breakfast, lunch, and dinner recipe.
Tips to Prevent Hair Loss
Here are 5 tips to further prevent hair loss and make your hair stronger & beautiful in the long term.
Have regular trims
The most common damaged part of the hair is the tips. Giving your hair frequent trims every two months can remove split ends and prevent them from doing further damage to the tips. Thus, promoting hair growth and stronger hair.
Don’t wear tight ponytails
Pulling your hair harshly because of tight ponytails can damage your hair follicles, which can also cause hair fall.
Also, don’t tie your hair when wet or before going to sleep. Always let your hair free so it will grow more beautiful.
Use wide toothed-comb
When your hair is wet, it is more fragile and vulnerable to breakage.
Wide toothed-comb easily detangles your hair without breakage since they run smoothly through your hair with less friction.
Only take hot showers every once in a while
Hot showers are very comforting, especially if you’ve had a long and tiring day. However, hot showers strip off the natural oils in your scalp that can lead to dry and brittle hair.
Learn to manage your stress
Since stress is one cause of hair loss, learning how to manage your stress and anxiety will help you find peace and calm during your most stressful times.
- Top Hair Secret Every Woman Needs to Know
- 4 Different Ways to Keep Your Hair, Skin, and Nails Healthy & Strong
- Collagen for Hair: How to Make It Stronger, Longer, and Thicker
- How Long Does It Take for Hair, Skin, and Nail Vitamins to Work
- The Top 5 Supplements for Overall Health and Beauty Transformation