How do you protect your heart? Or are you even doing an effort to take care of your heart health?
The heart works nonstop so the least you can do to thank it for keeping you alive is to make sure it’s safe from abnormalities and diseases.
Over the years, you’ve heard many things about how to keep your heart healthy. A balanced diet, regular exercise, healthy lifestyle, stress management, and staying happy (yes, that’s important) will keep your heart in good condition.
But have you heard that resveratrol is good for your heart, too?
One of the many benefits of resveratrol is that it supports cardiovascular health. Let’s dig a little deeper why your heart needs this natural compound.
What resveratrol can do for your heart
Resveratrol is a polyphenol compound that contains antioxidant properties. It’s found greatly on grape skin and other plant-based sources.
Aside from working as an antioxidant, resveratrol also helps reduce inflammation. These two benefits can help save your heart from harmful diseases and life-threatening issues.
One of the first triggers of cardiovascular problems is hypercholesterolemia or high cholesterol. The liver produces cholesterol your body needs to produce cells and hormones. As you know, you can also get it from the food you eat.
What does it mean when you have high cholesterol? You have high levels of low-density lipoprotein or LDL cholesterol (the bad guys), normal or low levels of high-density lipoprotein or HDL cholesterol (the good one), and normal or high levels of triglycerides.
Since cholesterol is waxy and resembles fat, when there is too much of it in your blood, it will cause plaque buildup on your artery walls. This is what they call atherosclerosis or coronary heart disease.
The plaque obstructs the normal blood circulation to and from your heart and all your organs. This might lead to blood clots, which cause a heart attack or stroke.
An individual’s high cholesterol level may be hereditary or because of lifestyle factors such as a diet high in saturated fat and lack of regular exercise.
Studies reveal that resveratrol can save you from the effects of a high cholesterol diet. It decreases LDL cholesterol levels and prevents atherosclerosis from developing.
Resveratrol as an antioxidant protects your cells from free radical damage. When you have insufficient antioxidants in your body, the free radicals will reach your other organs including your heart. The oxidation of LDL cholesterol contributes to the occurrence of atherosclerosis, which resveratrol can control.
Its anti-inflammatory activity protects blood vessels from damage and prevents blood clots. Although these claims need further research, most studies show that resveratrol has promising potential for treating cardiovascular diseases.
Facts and statistics on heart-related diseases
These data are from the American Heart Association (AHA) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is still the leading cause of death in the United States (AHA)
- This year, 1,055,000 individuals are expected to experience coronary events (720,000 of which are new cases) (AHA)
- In every 40 seconds, an American suffers from a heart attack and in every 60 seconds, more than one person dies from heart disease (CDC)
- Coronary Heart Disease or atherosclerosis is the most common type of heart disease in the US (AHA)
- Almost 30% of American adults have high blood pressure (CDC)
- 49% of Americans have at least of these three key risk factors for heart disease: high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and smoking (CDC)
- Fewer women than men survive their first heart attack (AHA)
- In the US, heart disease is the leading cause of death in women (CDC) and occurs in one out of three female deaths (AHA)
Do not wait until you experience an unwanted condition before you take serious care of your heart health. As you age, you need to be more careful about your lifestyle and eating habits. Avoid anything that’s bad for the heart and keep those that can protect it.
- How to Choose the Right Resveratrol Supplement
- How Resveratrol Strengthens Your Immune System
- Where to Get Your Daily Dose of Resveratrol
- 10 Reasons Why You Need a Resveratrol Supplement
- Resveratrol: Stories of Its Life-Improving Benefits to People